101 Free Things to Do at the Fair
Download a printable list here.
Free Gate Admission Deals
1. KOMO’s First Day at The Fair Food Drive and free gate admission with food donation - Aug. 31, 10:30 am—12:30 pm (non-perishable food is collected at gates for the Puyallup Food Bank all day)
2. Kids 18 years and under enjoy free gate admission during BECU’s Free Kids Weekend Aug. 31 - Sept. 3
3. Free gate admission for active, reserve and retired military and National Guard and their dependents, plus disabled veterans (with valid military ID) on Military Appreciation Days - Sept. 3, 10 and 17
4. Green thumbs will enjoy free gate admission at Gold Gate in the Agriculture/Horticulture Dept. vegetable critter contest. Free gate admission at Gold Gate with online entry receipt and vegetable critter - Sept. 15
5. A pumpkin can be your golden ticket to free gate admission. Register your carved pumpkin in the Agriculture/Horticulture Dept. contest, and receive free gate admission at the Gold Gate with your online entry receipt and pumpkin - Sept 15*
6. Free gate admission for an attendant assisting a disabled guest - Daily
7. Gate admission is FREE for children 5 years and under - Daily
8. Free gate admission with a school supply donation to the Community and Schools Supply Drive, Sept. 7 - 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Down on the Farm
9. Come see exotic animals in Barn M at the Animals of the World exhibit - Sept. 7-12
10. Watch master carver Russ Leno create pumpkin masterpieces at the Giant Pumpkin Carving demos – weekends.
11. The Draft Horse Driving Demonstration salutes breast cancer survivors with “Big Hearts Wear Pink” at both performances in Paulhamus Arena - Sept. 15 at 2 and 3:30 p.m.
12. A rose isn’t just a rose when you see these entries in the Floral Department this year! The open class competition offers four
judging dates - Sept. 3, 10, 17, 23
13. The Open Class Rabbit and Cavy competition will get you hopping - Sept. 9-13
14. Don’t be baaashful, check out the Sheep Shows in Agriplex - Sept. 19-23
15. Try your hand at trout fishing (kids 12 and under), snowshoeing and target shooting in the NW Outdoors Building – every Fri, Sat and Sun from 12 - 6 p.m.
16. Say hello to the newborn piglets at Piglet Palace, where two sows deliver the piglets sometime during the Fair - daily
17. See how early Valley farmers worked their fields by checking out the tools of the trade in the Fair Museum - daily
18. Kids can pedal a pint-size antique tractor around Tractor Tracks, in SillyVille - Daily
19. See the baby chicks in the Poultry Barn and Fair Farm. Kids will be amazed by the Talking Chick in the Poultry Barn - Daily
20. Try your hand at Milking Mabel, the faux cow in the Barn M - Daily
21. Get up close to baby animals in the Fair Farm - Daily
22. See 4-H and FFA students from all corners of the state compete - Daily
23. The experts are ready and waiting to teach you about bees, beeswax, honey, mead, pollen and beekeeping in the Agriculture/Horticulture Building - Daily
24. Watch kids ride a sheep at Wool Riders Only (mutton bustin’), Purple Gate - Daily
25. Travel back in time to the Old West and churn butter at Pioneer Farm - Daily
26. See how fruits and vegetables grow at the Planting Patch - Daily
27. Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off, Loading Arena 1 - Sept. 1 at 5:30 p.m.
28. Be transported to other locations around the world in the NW International Photo Contest - Daily
29. Make it a family event at the C&H Sugar Parent-Child Filled Cookie Contest, Home Arts - Sept. 9
30. Put your creativity to the test in the pumpkin coloring contest - Sept. 3, 9 a.m. registration
31. Want to judge a competition? Head over to Barn A and vote for the People’s Choice Award in the Pigeon Contest - Sept. 1-4
32. Set your eyes on something sweet. Brown and Haley Baking and Confection Contest judging, Home Arts - Sept. 11, 4:30-6 p.m.
and Sept. 16 10 am.—12 p.m.
33. The Great American SPAM Championship judging is in the can in Home Arts - Sept. 15, 10:00 a.m.—12 p.m.
34. Calling all brewmasters and vitners, be sure to stop by the Amateur Beer and Wine Contest in Agricultural /
35. Have you even seen a National Guernsey Show? This dairy cattle show judging slated for Sept. 10 at 10 a.m.
36. Test your strength during the End of Summer Bash Stein Hoist competition—Sept. 4 11:30-6 pm
37. Spice up your day at the Salsa Showdown, Home Arts - Sept. 7
38. Judging can be the sweet at the Washington State Fair Berry Pie Contest in Home Arts - Sept. 18, 10 a.m.—12 p.m.
39. View beautiful blossoms and bouquets in the Floral Department’s Professional Fresh Floral Design Show - Sept. 2
40. See which baker can put a smile on the face of a scone baker at the Home Arts competition, Original Famous Fair Scone
Contest - Sept. 20, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
41. What is coffee’s perfect match? Biscotti of course! Stop by and see the recipes in the Home Arts Dept.—Daily
42. Competition is tight in the Pygmy goat and dairy goat shows - Sept. 22-24
43. The judges will be in a jam when they judge the Best Jam and Jelly Contest in Home Arts - Sept. 22 at 10 a.m.—12 p.m.
44. See the Blue Ribbon winners in the Fine Art Show, Pavilion (2nd floor) - Daily
45. Vote your favorite Hobby Hall collection at the People’s Choice Award - Daily
46. Check out winners of the Agriculture/Horticulture contests in divisions ranging from artichokes to winter squash - Daily
47. Take a step in time to meet the King, with the illusion of Elvis, Danny Vernon—Showplace Stage Sept. 1-4
48. Celebrate the End of Summer Bash with a free Washington Legends Tribute Music event in the Grandstand - Sept. 4
49. Are you ready for cowboy comedy? Leapin’ Louie Lichtenstein will perform a Yee-Haawing good time—Sept. 1-11
50. Don’t miss The Voice star, Meghan Linsey on the Coca-Cola Stage—Sept. 2-4
51. Ooh and aah at the Fireworks Spectacular as the sun goes down on the opening Friday and closing Friday of Fair, Sept. 1 & 22.
52. Be mesmerized by Tina Marie, Master Hypnotist at the Coca-Cola Stage - Sept. 7-18
53. Celebrate Asia Pacific Cultural Center Day, complete with traditional music, dance and more - Sept. 16
54. Feel the beat with Street Beat Percussion Parkour on the Fountain Stage—Daily
55. Don’t miss The Fair favorite Western Rodeo Parade and Cattle Drive through downtown Puyallup—Sept. 8
56. Cheer on the Sea Gals, on Showplace Stage, sponsored by Aqua Rec—Sept. 23
57. Join in the colorful and festive music, dancers, and mariachi at Fiestas Patrias in the Grandstand - Sept. 17
58. Be entranced by hypnotist Tyzen on the Coca-Cola Stage - Sept. 21-24
59. The Walker Boys, sons of the Red Head Express, will delight with their bluegrass sound on the Coca-Cola Stage - Sept. 16-17
60. A fan favorite, The Coats, are back on the Coca-Cola Stage-Sept. 23 - 24
61. Enjoy a vintage style show with the Beverly Belles on the Fountain Stage - Sept. 1-4
62. Try your hand at a lip syncing contest on the Showplace Stage—Sept. 1 from 7-9 p.m.
63. Watch the Tumbleweed Crossing comedy gunfighter show at Timber Gulch - Daily, 1, 4 and 6:30 p.m.
64. The Fair has costume characters strolling the grounds, ready to pose with you most any time - daily
65. Whirl and twirl as one of the first 100 riders on the Antique Carousel opening weekend will receive a free button - Sept. 1-4
66. Grab a selfie when you see Tubbs, the blue duck as he waddles around The Fair - Sept. 7-24
67. Few entertainers can amaze you, and keep you laughing. Don’t miss seeing Roberto the Magnificent and his comedy juggling
show on the Coca-Cola Stage - daily
68. Your toes will start tapping to the sounds of Dixieland music by Fabulous Roadstars on the Fountain Stage– Sept. 13-24
69. Watch Marty Davis perform classic country on the Fountain Stage - Sept. 7-11
70. Watch famous artists demonstrating their craft in the Fred Oldfield Western Art Heritage Center - Daily
71. Be mesmerized by the LotuSapiens, amazing stilt walkers who wander the grounds - Daily
72. Do you have the fastest fingers? Attend this knitting speed race demonstration in Home Arts —Sept. 11, 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
73. Watch the daily Education Department’s free stage performances - Daily
74. Foodies will be entertained with live cooking demonstration in the Home Arts kitchen by chefs and food experts - Daily
75. Stop by any of the four Information Booths on the grounds to get any of your burning Fair questions answered.
76. Kids 12 and younger love face painting, SillyVille - Mon.-Fri. 2 - 8 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m. - 8 p.m..; Sun. 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
77. Hop on one of the People Movers and rest your feet - Mon.-Fri., 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m., crowds permitting
78. Stay healthy and keep clean at the hand washing stations at The Fair, thanks to sponsor, MultiCare - Daily
79. Sign Budweiser’s Designated Driver Pledge and receive a complimentary Coca-Cola beverage at bar service locations - Daily
80. Quench your thirst with a free cup of water from Mountain Mist - Daily
81. Create a memory and have a friend take your picture at various selfie stations on the grounds - Daily
82. Enjoy the convenience of a family restroom and nursing station in SillyVille - Daily
83. Pick up the official Washington State Fair Brochure inside each gate - Daily
84. Want a purrfect day at The Fair? Pounce on over to see the 4-H cats in Barn D - Sept. 7-8
85. Visit some of our feathered friends at the chicken and duck showing, Poultry Barn - Sept. 13-18
86. Vroom, vroom! Check out the Ford test drive in the Agriplex Plaza —Sept. 7-10
87. Check out a fan favorite, the All Around Dogs in N Barn- Sept. 1-4
88. Check out Ultimate Tailgate with the Seahawks vs. Tennessee Titans on Sept. 24 at the End Zone Sports Bar - giveaways and
prizes to the first 250 guests
89. Be a superhero for a day at Superhero Headquarters V.2.0, near the SillyVille sign - daily
90. Receive a collectable Big Washington bobblehead if you are one of the first 2,000 guests through the gates on Labor Day -
91. Test your strength with the strongest people around, the U.S. Army located near Showplace Stage—Sept. 15-18
92. Take in the beauty and relaxation of Classic Coaster Park, thanks to the Washington State Fair Foundation - Daily
93. Take part in recycling your aluminum and plastic bottles, thanks to Waste Connections - Daily
94. Check out more than 50 unique wild and wacky collections in Hobby Hall - Daily
95. Check out the beautiful Washington and International Photo Competition in the Photo Salon, Pavilion (2nd floor) - Daily
96. See the talent our students possess at the Jr./Sr. High Art Show in the Pavilion - Daily
97. Watch artisans create clay pottery, handmade bags and fused glass created right before your eyes in Artists in Action - Daily
98. Enjoy the talent of Washington artists in the Fine Arts Show including drawing, oil painting, digital art and more - Daily
99. Learn about Western art while visiting the Fred Oldfield Western Art Heritage Center - Daily
100. Come to Home Arts for art and culinary demonstrations - Daily
101. Have your picture taken with Big Washington, our lovable and friendly Washington State Fair mascot– Daily